Monday, March 7, 2011

Goodbye school, Hello Hermano Pedro!

I did it, folks!  I made it through my first month of language school!  I am OFFICIALLY done with my first class in Guatemala!

This past week was filled with homework and studying to finish up the first session of classes.  On Wednesday we had a talk about Semana Santa, Holy Week, here in Antigua.  It's going to be INTENSE, and I am so excited!  We learned about processions, alfombras, and traditional dress and food.  After that, Brita and I had our "2-on-1 date" with Becky.  We had some delicious dessert, and chatted about how our time has been going so far.  On Friday, we celebrated being done with class with ice cream and "She's the Man" (I'm so happy I thought to bring that movie!).  Then on Saturday, I slept in till 11:15 and headed to the office to catch up with people from home.  That night, a few of us played cards until curfew.  On Sunday, a few of us met at Dona Luisa's, a restaurant near the SI office, for brunch.  I had a baked potato that was absolutely DELICIOUS.  After brunch, I hung out at the office until about 5:00, when I talked to my parents on Skype!  Unfortunately, our conversation got cut a little short because we had to go to dinner, but it was good to see their faces and hear their voices!  Dinner was SO GOOD.  I had flautas, which are tortillas with chicken and potatoes inside, topped with lettuce, avocado, and onions, along with ice cold lemonade.  The rest of the night we hung out at the office, and I talked to Jesamine!

For the next two weeks, I'm returning to the hospital, Hermano Pedro, to help out.  Today we helped out at the school there, where some of the patients were making necklaces.  We also got to feed the Senoras, the older women, lunch.  It was a good first day back, and I'm excited to get to know more of the patients.  As of now I haven't been completely moved with emotion, but I'm sure when I start getting into more of the social work-y aspects of Hermano Pedro I'll have lots to share.  Be praying for me this week as I get into the groove at Hermano Pedro!

Con mucho amor,

Rosita

1 comment:

  1. Our sweet Rosita! It was nice to see your smiling face again on Sunday. We love hearing about how things are going with you there and are glad to hear that you are also enjoying your experience there.

    I did a little research on Hermano Perdo Hospital there in Guatemala and came across a site that gives a some background on its history and the people they serve today. Here is the link: http://www.faithinpractice.org/hospital.php

    Love you bunches!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete